Problem with Mercury SRS gyro with 18MZ

• Hello,

standard is 15ms- you can make 12ms. But I think this is not the problem. But what you can check: the S.BUS output must not be at "HighSpeed" (7ms). This is a setting in the receiver.

What I meant is: Model on the ground, Gyro on, Turbine test run in all RPM ranges. Have a look to the surfaces if you see any movements. If the surfaces glitch at any turbine speed, then let me know and send me a picture of your mounting situation.

Hi Richard, We have lost an expensive model (Big Hawk) last Friday with the Mercury on board, I lost control on my Diamon Jet on Friday on landing and almost crashed my Viper Jet yesterday for the same reason. No more command on the Plane. The big Hawk lost connection for about 7 to 8 seconds (Dual Futaba 7003). My Diamond there was no command at all on the final before touch down, My Viper Jet in turn nose dived with no control for few seconds until i regained control and switched off the Gyro afterwards. I have noticed something weird yesterday when taxing the Viper that as you described here, the elevator Surfaces just flicked once, i check the movement and GPS status all was ok then i took off with Gyro on and during this particular flight the incident happened. Diamond has dual futaba 7006 and Viper dual 7008. both units didnt show any hold. All Mercury units are updated and our radios are 18MZ WC. Is there something wrong? My Diamond last week got a hold for 2 seconds and i already reported this on this form. can you please advise what should be done?

• Hello,

if you have problem with loosing control in three models this is not a problem with the Mercury. This movement described above do not cause a control loss. In the air you will not feel it. Also in the most models the flickering is only small, in some models with turbine sitting close to the rc board without any tank in between it´s more.

But in any case it doesn´t cause a control loss.

In the Viper Jet you got control back before you turned off the gyro?

• Richard, I'm pretty new to the whole PB units and the mercury is my first of your products installed. I can confirm with Omar that a very expensive model went down on Friday where the model lost all control, unfortunately when we got to the scene the power was disconnected due to the hard impact.

I'm concerned with the current issues that has been happening at our local club, so much so that i refuse to risk my model due to a unit that is believed to be faulty. Please can you and your team look into this, we spend far to much money on a model to be part of the statistics. Id rather just chuck the unit away and regard it as Sunday school money.

Going to wait with my maiden and if nothing comes from this i probably will remove the mercury and go for another one of your proven units.

Regards,

William

• Hello friends,

Today i had the same issue about unwanted rolling action after activating fm2.

I have to say that i have already good expirience wit the Mercury srs and it did its job all the time right. Untill today. As i switched it to fm2 it started to toumble over the ailerons from the left to the right and back, until it started to turn in a hard, continuous rollover to the ground. The only way to rescue the model was to switch back to fm1 immediately.

I fly with jeti and did not recognize any warnig for signal loss. As i landed, i rechecked the acting direction of the control surfaces in fm2. Nothing seemed to be wrong. Then i reinitialized the gyro thru testfly assistant and checked all directions again. In all test flights, allways the same result. Unwanted unending rollover. There is to say, to not risk my plane in the near of the ground, i had to preset the testfly assistant on the ground to a known parameter like 30% gain. To be able to test the new initalisation in a secure altitude. In my case, there is no turbine near the Mercury srs. Its a conventional electric powered prop plane and it did many flights with no issues within gyro usage before, in the same configuration.

Maybe you have allready solved that problem this time?

In will do further tests like reset the hole pb and check failsafe and hold logs and so on.

One more question: is there a possibility of wearing the gyro thru vibrations and hits in normal day use?

But anyway many thanks for response

Greetings, marco

• Hello,

if you have problem with loosing control in three models this is not a problem with the Mercury. This movement described above do not cause a control loss. In the air you will not feel it. Also in the most models the flickering is only small, in some models with turbine sitting close to the rc board without any tank in between it´s more.

But in any case it doesn´t cause a control loss.

In the Viper Jet you got control back before you turned off the gyro?

Thanks Richard for your valuable answer, then what is the cause of what happened? and what is the solution for these random events which comes out of a sudden. talking about the Viper when the FM2 is ON there are unintentional commands given to the 3 axis which is causing unintentional behavior with a lock on commands. As the model nose dived on a right turn with a roll and no commands for almost 2 seconds until things are back again to normal, FM2 was still on, i switched it off and landed it, this is the second time i got the exact same weird behavior while FM2 is ON on the same model and on the same right turn. the Mercury is placed in the cockpit area of the Viper and there is fuel tank sitting between the Unit and the Turbine. luckily that i take turns upwards with the Viper otherwise i would have lost it the first time. Software is updated to V5. By the way in another similar incident, two weeks ago, another friend has an Ultra Flash with a Mercury on-board got an unintentional double rolls with the Gyro Off during the roll no commands to the plane for almost 2 seconds, he is a Spektrum user. I am not pin pointing Richard, but i want to have a free mind in the Air and not thinking of something will happen sooner or later. thanks for your help.

• Hello,

it´s hard to make a statement, as you can imagine: we sold really a lot of this units. I know there are eratic short movements of the surfaces due to turbine noise, but never a loss of control. Problems with Prop planes or gyro off have never been reported!

We are actually working on a solution for the turbine noise problem. I think I can say more in 2-3 days. If you feel uncomfortable you can fly without gyro so long, I´m sure there are no other issues. We test the units back and forward before we go in series, the last weeks we did a lot of additional testing because of the turbine noise issue. No other problems could be found!

• Hello,

it´s hard to make a statement, as you can imagine: we sold really a lot of this units. I know there are eratic short movements of the surfaces due to turbine noise, but never a loss of control. Problems with Prop planes or gyro off have never been reported!

We are actually working on a solution for the turbine noise problem. I think I can say more in 2-3 days. If you feel uncomfortable you can fly without gyro so long, I´m sure there are no other issues. We test the units back and forward before we go in series, the last weeks we did a lot of additional testing because of the turbine noise issue. No other problems could be found!

Thanks Richard, what I will do is the following: disabling totally the Igyro from the Mercury and use it only as a PB Unit and do the mapping the old fashion way, install an external Igyro SRS and wrap everything up, will the turbine noise issue be sorted out in that context?

thanks.

• Hello,

True but how many people keep updating their unit after installation? The latest update is not that old. Maybe most units are flying with the older firmware without any issue. There was a iGyro bugfix, maybe it introduced a new bug?

Your answer keeps feeling a bit like a "there is nothing wrong with our product, it's you" answer, sorry.......

• True but how many people keep updating their unit after installation?

With introducing PowerBox BlueCom, I can answer this. V05 was released in February, looking only at the full march, I see round about 6 - 8 updates per day (I only looked at iOS BlueCom for the moment). On Weekends, the update-rate is higher (often more than 10). So you can see, updates are done every day.

As Richard said, the Mercury is under heavy testing right now and we check everything closely, also the hints we got from our customers. So nobody will say the problem is you, quite the reverse.

• Hello,

Mine is also matched wit the latest update and i had this issue not quiet after the uptdate. Probably two flight hours after the update

Dear Powerbox Team i know you guys do your job right. This is a very complex unit and if there is a problem with it, i know you will fix it! You are still a great brand. Greez marco

• Hello,

Mine is also matched wit the latest update and i had this issue not quiet after the uptdate. Probably two flight hours after the update

Dear Powerbox Team i know you guys do your job right. This is a very complex unit and if there is a problem with it, i know you will fix it! You are still a great brand. Greez marco

Marco, what is your issue? same as i had?