Timer and Battery Capacity

• Hi,

I've been running a new Competition SRS and wondered if you can give me some information on the following please?

The on screen timer seems to count up to around 4 to 8 minutes and resets sometimes when turning the Powerbox on again. It is not showing total time elapsed from a flying session before a Reset has been done.

Also the battery capacity monitor only shows around 100mAh has been used from both packs after a flight and is not showing the total discharge. So after about six flights the packs are actually discharged to around 35-40% remaining capacity, whereas the screen says both packs are around 4900mAh (with 2 on board 5000mAh LiFe packs).

Any information gratefully received, thank you.

Dan

• Hello,

this is because of the automatic reset of the batteries after some mAh discharge. The problem is with LiFe, that this batteries come up with the voltage after turning off. The PowerBox detects this as a charging process.

Please set the battery type to NiMh. There the threshold is a little lower.

Let me know if that solves your problem.

• Hi Richard,

Thanks a lot for the information. I changed the battery type to NiMh as you suggested and have flown the model a lot since and noted if there's any difference. The screen is still showing that it's resetting when switching back on again, timer = 0 and the battery discharge monitor back up to 5000 mAh, not sure what the problem is here.

Best wishes,

Dan

• Yeah, I'm having the same issue with my Cockpit SRS, battery capacity remaining is being reset to full capacity every time I power on, however, the voltage of both Life batts is correct. The timer is starting at 0 as well.

Tom

• Have you guys sorted out the issue why the battery capacity always resets to indicate full capacity when I turn the Cockpit SRS off/on? The voltage level drops accordingly, but the capacity ALWAYS resets to indicate a full capacity battery.

Thank you!

Tom

• Hello,

I changed the thresholds for LiFe, you both got a mail with a changed software.

I think the problem is when you have big capacities with small voltage drops when the plane is turned on, and when you turn on again, the voltage of the Packs is higher than before.

Let me know if this changes work for you now.

Thank you!

• Richard and the powerbox team,

As discussed previously I would recommend/request that the automatic reset feature be a selectable feature (including perhaps the threshold). This way the end user can tune the unit to their battery chemistry and performance.

Regards

James.

• Hey Richard, I was going to try that email attachment you sent with the file to change the software. Can you tell me how to do that? Is there a way to drag and drop the file into the Powerbox Terminal? Not sure how to do this?

Thanks!

Tom

• Hey Richard. Today I got the software to load to the Powerbox Cockpit for the battery capacity, and it loaded fine, no problem. I will report back to you when I start using that batteries to see if in fact the capacity drops on the LCD with use.