iGyro and Spectrum DX18

• I have a question. Before placing my new iGyro into my turbine jet...I wanted to familiarize myself with it in a foam E-Flite Carbon-Z Yak 54. I have been able to bind to the AR9020 receiver and iGyro fine, but then the elevator and rudder act like they are on crack and go to one direction and stay there. The rudder goes extreme left and the elevator acts crazy but jittering close to burning servo out. The ailerons are at their far ends of travel too in opposite directions. They all respond a little to stick input.....barely...but I know the channels are mapped right at least. I have tried other receivers, read the manual multiple times....no luck. I have bound to DSMX and did the auto set up fine. Still same results. I am using the two 2 pole power leads correctly and am using A123 (6.6) to power AR9020. I must be doing something wrong....is it the servos? Is it the A123's??? I am losing my mind trying to figure this out. I am using dual ailerons setup in the radio and have them mapped to 2 and 6 in the iGyro. The elevator is on 3, and the rudder is 4. The FM is on 7 and the gain on 8. AAAAhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.........please help! Someone..... I have to be doing something wrong.

Doug

• Hello,

I´m sorry to hear that you are getting crazy :-) Cool down, do following:

- You don´t need the receiver for this plane, connect the servos like that: Ailerons on A+B, Elevator A, Throttle to Elevator B, Ruder
    - Connect 2 or 3 satellites
    - Power into BUS 1 and/or BUS 2
    - Remove wires from Motor for safety
    - Select DSMX in RX-Settings
    - Bind the satellites

Now make the "Basic Setup Assistant". When you are done, go into Input Mapping to ELEV-B and map it to Channel 1 (throttle channel). You can do with switch or move your throttle stick

When all works use the Test-Fly-Assistant to adjust the Gyro.

• thank you for your support! I did exactly what you said. Bound in DSMX and did the mapping. Same results....rudder stays in full left deflection, ailerons in full left turn deflection, and elevator going crazy(high speed jitters...but is the only one that is not in full deflection). Do I have a faulty unit? It reads V16 in startup menu...just bought it last week. The control surfaces respond to stick input but since they are in full deflection, minimal movement. I used the start up assistant too. Spent hours yesterday trying different things.... same results. Anything else I could be doing wrong...or do I send back? This should not be this hard...and I know I am doing it exactly how the manual says.

Doug

• Yes....boost set to 0. Rudder still in full left deflection as are the ailerons. Only the elevator is not in full deflection but acting crazy.

I am thinking I have a bad unit...I just don't want to send back a unit if I am doing something wrong. Any other suggestions....even did factory reset a few times too.

Doug

• I have even done both dual aileron and single aileron with aileron in iGyron on Aile A. Still same response. Rudder in full left deflection still. It will move with stick input but thinks center is full left deflection. Same with ailerons. Elevator is centered but enough jitter to burn a servo out......while the ailerons and rudder are still but in full left deflection. ???

Doug

• ......I tried one last ditch effort and it worked!!!! I made a mock airplane with new digital servos...not analog......and it worked! The iGyro does not work with the analog servos I tried in association with the DX18. Even changing in DX18 to 22ms did not help. So, digital servos it is......
    Funny thing...if I would have just stuck the iGyro in my jet that has the digital to start with...it would have been fine from the start.

Doug...thanks for your replies....

• One last question...the iGyro doesn't seem to recognize any channels on the X-plus 8 channel expander for the DX18. Is it because the 8 channel expander is lower resolution? I was going to put the FM and Gain swithces on 2 of the X-Plus 8 expander channels.......

Doug

• Hi Richard,
    I take this post because I'm losing my mind with igyro and DX18!
    I've flown many times my Viper + Futaba T14 and operating igyro.
    the gain settings were 30% for aileron and elevator while it was 54% for rudder.
    Everything worked well in both FM2 and FM3 with lots of fun during the flights.

I replaced the Furaba T14 system with Spektrum (DX18 +12000 receiver) DSMX. I updated igyro to V16 and then I reset it. I did the setup assistant.
    Everything works fine.

I brought the model to the airfield, first flight of trim and then test fly assistant.
    zeroing - teach endpoints - fly ......

Set the AIL gain ... to 100% and the model was still stable (does not oscillate)

Set the ELE gain ... up to 5% the model pulls up more and more until I turn igyro off

Set the RUD gain (FM2 and FM3) ... to 100% and the model was still stable (does not oscillate)

yesterday I did 7 times the procedure "fly assistant" but the results are always the same.

I need your help before I go crazy. The first time I installed it, with futaba and V15 igyro, three flights for a perfect setup and now maybe I did not understand something!

Thank a lot,
    Luca Pieroni

• Hello,

what do you mean with "model pulls up more and more"? Your plane is flying up when you increase Gyro gain? Please check if the direction of the Elevator is correct. If you lift the tail, the elevator must go up also.

Because of a change of your transmitter, a new setup of the gyro was not necessary. Just remapping the channels and making a zero Gyro is enough.

• "Richard Deutsch" wrote:

Hello,

what do you mean with "model pulls up more and more"? Your plane is flying up when you increase Gyro gain? Please check if the direction of the Elevator is correct. If you lift the tail, the elevator must go up also.

I have been careful to do it well but I'll just make a further check

"Richard Deutsch" wrote:

Because of a change of your transmitter, a new setup of the gyro was not necessary. Just remapping the channels and making a zero Gyro is enough.

:roll: I made the mistake and I learned my lesson.

What about the percentages really high (100% and remain stable) for ailerons and rudder??

thanks again
    Luca_P