Patch antennas

• Hello,

I´m not sure if it is a big improvement:

1. we improved the filters/antennas impedance significantly in the receivers and the radio, so we already have more range than Weatronic receivers/radio

2. The filter was made to fit exactly for the wire antennas, so the changing impedance with the patch antennas may make the receivers more bad than good

3. You are loosing the CE/FCC compliance...

• Hi Richard

Managed to get some tests done today.

Current set up in Pilot Extra 330 90" is WEA Micro with 2 Patch antennas, this was flying on BAT60 but changed back to DV4 module on Graupner MX24s as sent BAT60 back to you!

So i installed my PBR9 and connected to the two original patch antennas which are mounted either side of fuselage and just plugged in rudder servo to test. Walked away from aircraft inline with fuselage so patch antennas faced outwards to my left and right so i was facing rear of aircraft etc CORE was set to range test and i got over 250 paces and still had control of rudder, I walked enough so came back to aircraft :-)

Then i reconnected Micro Rx to patch antennas and conducted exactly same test with DV4/MX24s with range test selected and again i walked again over 250 paces with control....i came back!

So I have every confidence that PBR9 would certainly be ok to fly with patch antennas.

Only problem is i need to use all 10 channels of the PBR9 and i have two more battery plugs to find home for! Guess i will solder up two heavy duty 'Y' leads

Thrott

Ailerons x 2

Elev x 2

Rudd

i3 Gyro

Choke

Ignition

Electric engine starter

Next test is to conduct exactly the same test with another Core Rx with original wire antennas to compare. Not going to swap U.FL again as only rated for a couple of mate/de-mate etc

Would have been nice for Rx's to have separate power in pins :-)

Alan

• Hi Alan,

nice to meet you here again. Just saw you experiments with the patches which we had also successfully applied to some of our SMART8 in F3J planes for competitions...

(we had one ordinary dipol and one WEA patch)

---

The core makes a good impression to me and Tim. He checked out the "3D-haptics" for his personal feel already. "At least it just feels like home" was his sttatement after some flights with the CORE :)

Let´s stay in contact....

regards from GER

Tim & Tom

• Hi Thomas and Tim

Good to hear from you both! Yes I was at home with CORE straight away and programming felt like I had done it before 😊 yes I know things are different but I believe the structure is way better and easier than Jeti and I have read all the Jeti manuals...

The CORE is so nice in the hands! I remember 1st time holding it at JetPower at 1st showing then I went straight to Jeti stand and held DS16 for comparison.....😔

Really looking forward to getting more updates...makes a change actually getting a Tx update! Lol

I have been off work since March with 2 operations 🙄 so only just getting ready to go back work in around 2 weeks...

Yes stay in touch... are you going JetPower this year?

Regards

Leicester ⚽️ 😊

Alan

• Hi Alan,

best wishes for your health. Think we should have a skype session sometime in the future as we used to have with WEA :-)

I´am not sure if we will be at JetPower since it´s possible that we are at a competition. But let´s se what time brings.

Have fun with your CORE and best reagards to your wife

Tim & Tom

• Hi Fireblade5437,

I am going to use a patch in my airplane as well. the only concern I have with your application is the type of patch you use. Those patches are circular polarized because the corners are trimmed. How do you know that the circular movement is in the same direction as the Radio patches? If this does not match you could have some dangerous situations. I was thinking to use a linear polarized patch because the radio is circular. I accept the 3 dBi gain loss but there are no risks due to circular direction. Do I miss something??

• Hi John,

nice to meet you here again, same as with Alan :-) Guess the last time we met was when you visited us in my workshop in Dortmund....

Regarding your question, there was a nice article published in an Aviation Magazine. I attached one informative table which shows the impact of polarisation on antenna positioning and the resulting signal. As one can see, the WEA TX patches are RHCP (same is true for GNSS / GPS satellites).

When using an LHCP RX antenna in conjunction with a RHCP TX antenna, you will get poor results. It will function in near field, cause both types pick up a small portion of the different oriented radiation, but with the distance getting bigger, you will expirience a dramatic loss of signal. That is why this constellation is not in the table.

What is your motivation to use a linear pol. patch rather than using the dipoles fitted as standard ?

best regards to NL and have a nice day

Thomas

• Hi Fireblade5437,

I am going to use a patch in my airplane as well. the only concern I have with your application is the type of patch you use. Those patches are circular polarized because the corners are trimmed. How do you know that the circular movement is in the same direction as the Radio patches? If this does not match you could have some dangerous situations. I was thinking to use a linear polarized patch because the radio is circular. I accept the 3 dBi gain loss but there are no risks due to circular direction. Do I miss something??

Hi Jag

These are the original Weatronic patch antennas, I have not yet viewed the antenna used in the Core. It would be interesting to see what type they have used but cannot see why they would change from same type as that used in the DV4/ Bat?

Trying to source the actual antenna (less pcb) for correct frequencies is not easy as I tried when Wea closed, making the ground plane/pcb is the easy bit :-)

Alan

• Hi Thomas

We will have to arrange a night for a late night Skype catch up...😊

Do you know what type of patch is installed in the Core? Certainly seem to be getting good figures off the 9ch I have tested with the two Wea patch antennas.

Very hot here here so glad I installed aircon in house and workshop 🥶

Alan

• Hi Alan,

didn´t forget about finding a time slot for a nightly talk as we used to have in the past. Guess Tim will be with us then. But have much work to do in my company. That´s also the reason why Tim has mostly to develop on P² on his own these days. Must say I´m proud of what he has already done so far :-)

The SIM IF is only one first stage of his development and mainly done to test his own P² library functions. Next will be other sensors, blackbox function and so on...

Regarding the patches in the CORE: Up to now haven´t opened the case so far. But I think Richard can give you/us this information (LHCP or RHCP) as this should not be considered confidential... But according to your first test, I guess it will be RHCP, like used by WEA.

"cool" regards to Leicester

Tim & Tom

• The reason that i would like to use different antennas is because my airframe is completely build from Carbonfibre. I will use the airframe as a groundplane for the monopole blade antennas. I ordered some Verdant Blade Antennas for profesional use on our customer drone projects. We did some simulations regarding the shape of my airframe and the positioning of the blades. The results are fantastic.