Posts by ogg2000

The bad GPS was my first thought but I changed to a brand new one, so it's unlikely that's faulty too.

I have a plan - I'll swap to another iGyro unit and run the gain set up flights again after a full reset.

Hello Richard,

But that wouldn't explain why it has suddenly changed. The aileron gain has been set up at around 70% for years and dozens of flights. It has only changed this week.

It's as if the GPS is not working on this one one axis only. I know that seems impalusible. 10% is a figure I would expect on this airframe with no GPS. This is a 150 size Yak 54.

Hello Powerbox folk

A well flown model with a unmodified gyro settings and mechanical set up has suddenly shown very strong roll axis oscillations in rate mode only. The gain settings were set at 66%, boost 0, or there abouts on all axes, boost 0 and speed factor 4. This set up has been flown many times.

I initially thought this might be a GPS v1 sensor fault. This was replaced with a new GPS v2 and gain calibration flights made. The 'fault' is still there - the maximum gain on ailerons is only 10% with 66-68 % on elevator and rudder. Boost 1 on all axes. Tests only done in rate mode.

How can this suddenly happen? Is there a sensor fault?

This is similar to another iGyro unit I had in a different airframe- again I though it was a GPS v1 unit problem. Replacing did not fix the problem although the symptoms were not exactly the same.

Should I send both devices back for a check?

Regards

Dave

I have all the versions of the Powerbox igyro...

Yes definitely get the GPS - it's easily the best feature of these gyros. Once set up , you can then forget about gain mixes with their limitations and possibility of error.

Its always worth being careful in the few flights after the gain and speed factor are set up, so that thegain is suitable for all conditions - rule of thumb, if it oscillates, don't panic, just slow down until it stops, land and reduce the gain a bit

Do you use the GPS to regulate the gain with speed? The low gain figures and your description seem to imply it.

If you don't i really recommend you fit a GPS II, it's one, if not the, greatest feature of the IGyro series.

Why not test it? Powerbox recommend you trial run the test flight assistant. Set the gain in this test to 100%.

This will let you check that the FM settings are all doing what you want.

Dave

Let me see if I can help, if I may...

The Mercury is ironically confusing to set up, because it is designed to be much simpler, certainly compared to the iGyro SRS and 3e. I have at least one example of each. The iGyro SRS is the most flexible and configurable but requires more careful set up and the test fly assistant is a more lengthy procedure.

The Mercury is very simple:

Each axis has only one gain setting for each axis 0-100% (with one or two separately adjustable outputs e.g. Ail A, Ail B) 0-100% - The gain is set manually by the sensor switch or using a gain channel in conjunction with the Test Fly Assistant.

How this gain setting is used for Rate or Attitude Assist (Heading Hold) depends only on how you have set up the Flight Mode switch with its two choices: ON! or Attitude Assist. If you set an axis A or B to On! it operate in rate mode only, if you set an axis to Attitude Assist it operates in heading hold - actually it operates in both modes - providing instantaneous correction for un-commanded movements (e.g. wind turbulence) and making the model tend to stay in the attitude it has as the stick is centred. If there is too much 'heading gain' the aircraft un-naturally sticks to whatever position you leave it in. You can choose to set this mode if you want to of course for hovering for example.

If you set a flight mode with the gain set to 0% for all axes A/B then the gyro is off completely.

The Test Fly Assistant sets a single gain for all axes for both rate and heading hold. If you don't have Attitude Assist set on any of your Flight Modes then the heading hold gain is effectively ignored.

Hope this helps

BTW the manual section 5.5 does not match the settings in the current s/w - so this doesn't help the confusion

Hello PowerBox folk,

I returned this GPS I device a little over three weeks ago, as long with the three Sensors and broken Gemini II switch.

Would you confirm you have received them please and give me an estimate of repair costs and return time please?

Regards

Dave

Hello Richard

FM1 is set for rate only on all surfaces - worked as expected

FM2 rate and heading on ailerons and elevator

FM3 rate and heading on ailerons, elevator and rudder.

No mixes in the transmitter

In FM2 and FM3 the elevator did not have any heading gain effect on the surface but configured to 22%. So elevator (only) did not behave any differently in any flight mode - - I moved the tail up or down and elevator deflected momentarily and then returned to neutral.

Regards

Dave

Hello PowerBox team

A well flown model, with long term unchanged settings, was showing some odd behaviour today.

The single elevator A was set up in FM2 and FM3 with 50% rate and 25% heading gain, boost 1, speed 3, However the elevator behaved as if in rate mode only when checked on the ground. I checked this several times and after several power cycles with no change.

I reset to factory settings and re-entered the same settings as before . This seems to make the elevator behave as expected when moved on FM 2 and FM 3 - i.e. the deflection remains when the model was not moved from the new position.

However I saw some slow return movement of the elevator when not expected i.e it returned part way as if heading gain was much reduced and also a couple of times on the rudder (FM3 heading gain at 27%). This stopped after a while. I've just remembered I didn't move the sticks to their extreme positions after the factory reset (in case that makes a difference)

All checks done with GPS V1 logged in.

Please advise if this unit is likely to be faulty.

Regards

Dave

I use R7006 receivers with Mercury and iGyro SRS. Default receiver mode has SBUS on channel 5 position. Be careful this default has SBUS2 on channel position 6, and the connectors go in 'upside down' compared to other Futaba 7 series receivers.