Posts by ogg2000

Hello ,

I've done some more tests.

Set up: Google pixel 2 XL Android 10, Bluecomm iOS, Powerbox Royal. Royal updated to v20 using BlueCom and current iOS App (using someone else's phone...)

Sequence:

Power up Royal with Bluecom connected - set Royal to PC control

Successful pairing phone and Bluecom

Connect Bluecom to phone - successful, phone reports connected on BT set up screen

Start up Powerbox App

App reports cannot find Powerbox device - pressing OK terminates

Restart app - loads main screen and hangs permanently

Hope this helps - I have screen shots if it will help.

Regards

Dave

Ok thanks for the help, I'll get some more structured results later today.

It seems related to connecting to the Bluecomm, but exactly what state the BT connection is in is hard to work out.

Pixel 2xl on latest Android updates

But it specifically asks for location and phone and contacts. Not all apps do this. I understand the need for storage and BT.

However it's not starting properly even with all the odd permissions granted. I've removed and reinstalled. I just have the rotating ring.

This Android app seems to have some odd or rather excessive permissions... Why does it need access to location and the telephone?

In any case it hangs on start up on my Pixel2 even if I grant all requested permissions

The gain figures imply to me that the GPS speed sensor isn't being used.

In my view this is a must have. Without it you can't get the effective low speed gain you need for good stability. It's a great feature!

There are no SBus or other serial outputs on the Mercury. Mercury outputs are PWM.

The Royal and Champion have Powerbus serial outputs which you can use with PowerBus to Bus units to connect to Sbus servos.

My advice: why not try it it and decide for yourself. After all there's a switch to let you decide which mode to fly in.

The PowerBox iGyro gives a very natural feel in any mode - it's the best I've used and why they are in all my models. The GPS speed regulated gain is a fantastic feature, and I suspect, is much more reliable that an airspeed pitot sensor - the GPS wont get dirty.

There are two things to watch out for :

1. If you let the speed drop to zero in hold/attitude assist, funny things happen as the speed picks up, e.g. a stall turn. No big deal, it sorts itself out.

2. If you have hold/attitude assist on the rudder and attempt a turn (without rudder) the tail drags. This is why the manual says to have a mode with just rate on the rudder.

Its easy to get used to switching modes in flight, but it is one more thing to check at take off, so you don't have unexpected flying characteristics e.g. hold on rudder - it might surprise you when you turn after gaining flying speed.

OK, I'll try to clarify...

You have a three position switch for the gyro mode - per instructions. The usual settings are

FM1 - Gyro Off or Rate Mode

FM2 - Attitude Assist Standard

FM3 - Attitude Assist All

You only want your flap down trim to be active in FM1 i.e. when gyro is completely off or operating in Rate mode. So you need to have your mix enabled and disabled by the same switch as the gyro mode, so it is disabled in FM2 and FM 3.

Your simplest solution, at least to start with, is to disable your flap mix completely and then use the Test Fly Assistant as Richard advises. If you use the flaps when FM2 or FM3 is selected (i.e. with Attitude Assist) for take off and landing, you won't need your mix at all.

If it helps this is how I have set up flaps for my Xcalibur jet. Although I use the iGyro SRS.

FM1 is set to rate mode only. I have a transmitter mix for FM1 switch position only to add a small amount of down trim proportional to flap position - i.e. mix controlled by gyro mode switch

FM2 Attitude Assist (heading on elevator and aileron for iGyro) . No Mixing

FM3 Attitude Assist All ((heading on rudder, elevator and aileron for iGyro) No mixing

FM2 and FM3 are good for landing because you can set a stabilised nose up attitude for landing. FM1 though still allows you to have the aircraft properly trimmed for flaps, although you have to experiment with the mix for properly neutral trim at different flap settings.

If you power up the gyro with flaps down and the elevator mix active, the gyro will take that elevator input as neutral for all elevator movement. So attitude assist will only work on elevator when elevator input is the same as the mix from the flap when the flap is active or otherwise. Could create some strange effects but in any case there will be no attitude stability with the elevator stick at the centre. ( At least this is how it works on the iGyro - Richard please correct me if I'm wrong - I haven't flown much with my Mercury units)

Hello Richard

My apologies I did miss something - the second mixed elevon is on channel 2. At iGyro: Aileron input 1 & 6, elevator input 2. I've manually set elevator B input to channel 11 (as a switchable mix - just in case it's too sensitive).

My efforts yesterday weren't helped by a servo going faulty, so I probably had this one on channel 2 output, and so it didn't respond.

Any thoughts on the Boost effect with zero gain - the effect is very small, but it's there nonetheless?

Thanks for your help as always.

Regards

Dave

Yes but that relates to the PWM outputs on the iGyro and not the digital output as far as I can work out. Am I missing something? I cannot see the mixed elevon output on any other channel input to the Competition - Ive tried them all.

Of course I can use channel 1 for multiple outputs and servo match.

I always read the manual before asking questions...

Thanks again Richard...

I've done some experimenting and elevator B set up for canards but I have a couple more questions please:

The un-mixed aileron input to iGyro is on channel 1 and 6 per normal Futaba dual aileron set up. Delta mixer is set on igyro and I've noticed that the mixed elevon output is only available on channel 1 - is that as expected? Unmixed aileron is output on channel 6.

I noticed that with zero normal and heading gain, but with boost set at 1 or above, there is still some gyro reaction. Is that normal? I have zeroed the gyro.

Regards

Dave

Hello,

I'm fitting out a Mick Reeves Super Reaper with iGyro SRS and Competition SRS. The Super Reaper has a delta with moving canards configuration.

I've done some searching and read manuals and I have some of the answers but a few items of clarification please:

What channels are the mixed elevons output from the iGyro? If the tx is set up for 1 and 6, are the mixed outputs on 1 and 6 also?

Is the unmixed and gyro controlled elevator still available on the digital output of the iGyro - i.e. if input is on channel 2 is it out put on channel 2 with gyro? I know gyro on the canards is still really necessary but I'd like it as an option.

Would this set up be easier and/or better with a Mercury? I could do a configuration swap with another model - although I may need a foam cover, the Mercury is an early version.

Regards

Dave