Posts by ggrice

I updated and it seems to be working fine on my Normal+VT model with a ground test. I will update the other one tomorrow night and if the weather improves can flight test on Saturday. Looking good so far though - thank you Richard and Powerbox!

Hi Richard,

V06 results are:

FM1: solid OK

FM2: solid Lost

FM3: OK Lost, OK Lost, OK Lost

Is it possible to roll back my Mercury to V03? I didn't see that option in the Bluecom menu.

alternately maybe there's a V07 release on the way?

Hey Richard no problem, I appreciate you getting back to me.

I am using the Dx18 Stealth and I normally use 22ms frame rate with xplus enabled. I tried setting my radio to 11ms and the problem is it will not allow xplus which I need for more than 12 channels.

I tried binding my Mercury with the radio set to 11ms anyway as a test but could not get it to work. That might be a separate troubleshooting excercise- it should work at 22ms with xplus enabled right?

G

Hi Richard, I installed V06 on my normal +VT setup. At first it looked good but that seems to be conditional against flight modes:

FM1: solid OK

FM2: solid Lost

FM3: OK Lost, OK Lost, OK Lost

I then gave a full reset to the Mercury, reset to dsmx18, rebound, set voltage etc andran through the setup assistant and test fly assistant. Still solid OK in FM1, then solid OK in FM2, but still Ok Lost, OK lost in FM3...

Let me know if you need me to try any different settings etc for troubleshooting or more information.

Cheers,

G

Hi Richard, just an update from my side on the issue. You are sending me another GPS2, but I wanted to fly my jet yesterday so I purchased a brand new GPS2 so I did not miss the weekend flying. Problem is that the new GPS2 did not fix the problem. Still from the Mercury GPS reading I have OK - Lost, OK - Lost etc.

On top of this, during the week I had also updated the Mercury in my other jet to V05 firmware to take advantage of other fixes and enhancements. But with a sinking feeling I checked this jet at the site also and it to has OK - Lost, OK -Lost, OK - Lost :(

So I have two jets with two separate Mercury+gps2 with the same problem now and they are grounded until we can find a fix. BUT - we did find one interesting thing, if you turn the DX18 off so it is not connected to the Mercury then the GPS readout immediately sets to OK and stays solid. Turn the DX18 back on and its back to OK -Lost, OK - Lost.

Myself and my friend conducted a lengthy round of troubleshooting to see if we could narrow down the culprit for this issue, here are the things we tried:

* Tested outside, at my house and the flying site - same issue

* Moved jet around flying site to rule out RF interference - same issue

* Disconnected Spektrum TM1000 unit - same issue

* Rebound Mercury - same issue

* Set up a new model memory and rebound that to Mercury - same issue

* Took different DX18 with a different firmware and bound that to Mercury - same issue

* Disconnected each port on the Mercury one by one to see if its was somekind of feedback - no change to problem

* Tried a different cable to the GPS2 - same issue

* Changed batteries in model - trying fully charged and low charged - same issue

* Checked config of Mercury and firmware versions - both showing same level V05

* Checked config of GPS2 and firmware versions - both showing same level V10 and set to igyro/ mercury SRS / Royal SRS

* Tried changing the setting in the GPS to M-Link and every other type of telemetry option to see if any of them would stay on OK - did not work

So, my conclusion is that from this testing we have eliminated:

* Transmitter hardware

* Transmitter software

* Model programming

* GPS2 hardware

* Mercury hardware

* External factors like battery voltages

The only remaining culprit can be a software bug in the Mercury or GPS2?? Hopefully this issue should be very easy for you to replicate, you only need:

1. DX18

2. Mercury with V05

3. GPS2 with V10

If you get ok-lost, ok-lost, then turn off the dx18 and you should get solid ok.

I have the same problem on two jets now - it can not be a co-incidence. Please let me know is there a way to roll back my Mercury to V03 because I did not have the problem before upgrading to V05.

If you want we can do a Facetime video chat so you can see the problem from my side so you can see clearly my configuration and the fault.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

Geoff

Hi Richard, yes I checked that and made sure it is set to iGyro/ Mercury SRS/ Royal SRS option like my other GPS II

Here's a video I recorded outside in my back yard last night.

Note also that while it looks like the GPS is mounted to carbon fibre it's actually ABS plastic with carbon look print

Hi Richard, I'm from Ireland. I have 2 x GPS II devices both purchased last year. One from Als hobbies at Jetpower Messe and one from Nexus models UK webshop.

OK thanks Richard.

I was checking my system tonight and found that the Mercury was reading GPS OK-lost-OK-lost-OK-Lost over and over again (yes i was outside). I tried another GPSII and it gave solid OK so i think my gps sensor is defective. That would explain the lack of gyro gain in the hover.

Can I send in this GPSII for repair/replace?

No Attitude assist on Je 3D!!

Hi Richard, just to confirm are you saying DON'Tt use Alt assist All on the VT channels?

I tried my jet on the weekend and it seemed to 'fall sideways' out of a hover even though I have the gains set to 100% and Airspeed factor 4. I did not have Alt assist All enabled so I wondered if that might be why.

Hello, normally the Vector is of. But when your plane has speed- the vector force is nearly zero. So its not a problem if vector gyro is on

Thanks Richard. By the way, do you recommend alt assist all or std on VT ?

Hello Aaron,

only the outputs for vector control are set to 100%. Thats correct, like shown in your first post.

Hi guys,

Is it OK to use 100% gain on VT when slowly flying around also or only when trying to hover? that gain seems very high!

Just doing my first VT setup now..

Hi guys, just an update - I reset my Mercury, rebuilt the mounting bracket at precisely 90degrees, and got rid of any carbon near the Mercury and the problem still persisted. I needed another Mercury for a different project so I bought another new one, changed it over in to my Rebel and now the rudder is perfect with no creep.

Looks like Richard was 100% right I was unlucky and got a unit with a faulty sensor. I'll box it up on Monday and post it in for rectification.

regards,
    Geoff

Also, would you happen to know what frame rate hitec 8335sh servos should be configured for? I tried looking at Hitecs product page but I can't find any reference of an optimum frame rate.

Quote from "Richard Deutsch"

Hello,
    This looks like a bad sensor. Please send us the unit for a check. Sorry for the circumstances

Thanks Richard, this is a brand new unit and it's only my first time setting it up so I think I will do a full system reset and go through the setup process from zero again just to make sure I didn't screw something up. If the problem is still the same then I test it outside of the model, and if the problem still remains I will box it up and post it to you for diagnosis.

Just one question, I know you have to "stir the sticks" at startup, should that be immediately after power up or do you have to let the gyro zero first? when powering on my 3e jet I am afraid to move the model in case it throws out the gyro, but then I'm also worried that I missed the initialisation window for the end points. Is there any way to tell when that end point intialisation window ends?

cheers,
    Geoff.