Posts by jag.vangastel

3. Diese war geringer als die >10km in den optimal ausgelegten Bodentests. Deshalb werde ich Vergleiche mit anderen Systemen durchführen. Wenn ich jetzt z.B. 7km sage, dann bekommen vielleich manche Leute Angst :-). Aber keine Angst: Ihr könnt ja mal versuchen, im Video so bei 2min etwas am Boden zu erkennen. Ursache? Ich denke der Flieger ist ja eine Vollcarbon Maschine und auch die Haube ist im Vergleich zu Modellen um ein vielfaches dicker. Also ungünstigere Bedingungen.

Nice to see that people are willing to test the CORE system.

My conclusion from your video and the text above is that the receiver is inside the glider with a thick carbon-fiber fuselage bottom skin. If so: this is not a good test.

With my company in combination with an other institute we are running a research project for the European Union at this moment. The project timeline is 24 months and the goal is to test Antenna Arrays in Composite airframes connected to satellites at 2.4GHz. Therefor we did a huge amount of tests thru carbon fibre skins, thin to thick lay-ups. In a complete insulated wave free test facility we did some tests thru carbon skins. The results thru Carbon skins even from 1 layer 200gsm 2x2 Twill was tremendous bad. Signal strength thru Carbon was nothing anymore.

Thru Glas-fiber there is no big issue for radio transparency and thru your canopy material which is most likely between 4mm and 6mm there is no radio lock as well.

But the signal from earth will not go up and come back thru your canopy to the receiver with 100% strength. You need Visual Line Of Side.

If you want to test this you need to make sure that the monopole antenna from the receivers are outside the fuselage perpendicular to the skin and 90 degrees mounted from each other. Then you need the ground (protection) from your antenna connected to the carbon-fibre skin. The antenna length should be 1/4 Lambda over a wavelength from a 2.45 GHz radio-wave.

Example at 2.45 GHz:

Lambda = (299.792.458 m/s)/(2.450.000.000 Hz)

Lambda = 0,12236 m

Lambda = 122,36 mm

1/4 Lambda = 30,59mm (Antenna Length thru Carbon Skin)

If you do not test it like this the results are saying nothing except for the fact that the flight and the test was making some fun.

Best regards,

John van Gastel

Option 1:

Therefor you program the sparkswitch firmware to p2bus including a channel via the terminal or the app. Then you need a direct connection to the p2bus plug on the Receiver from the P2bus connection on the sparkswitch.

If you are using a powerbox device you need to split the P2bus cable so it is applicable to all 3 devices (receiver, powerbox and sparkswitch).

The sparkswitch works from the receiver directly and not via the powerbox in this situation. As such it is not redundant.

Option 2:

set your sparkswith on PWM in via the terminal or the app. Use a cable from a powerbox with PWM output to your sparkswitch. Then use a second cable for p2bus to use the telemetry. In this case you have the telemetry via p2bus and PWM redundant from the powerbox device connected to 2 receivers. In this case the switching module is redundant and the telemetry goes via 1 receiver.

This is no mistake. This is a typical example for shape follows function. It would be a shame to make a higher volume square box so people can mount it upside down.

This is what porsch do and not like a overstyled renault ;)

The most important thing here is that the sensor is as much as possible outside the Airflow. Airflow will cool down your sensors and as such the measurements are incorrect. You do not have to measure on the hottest spot. The most important thing here is to measure on the same spot on every of the 5 cilinders.

Use the grey paste that is delivered with the sensors to mount it with a M3 bolt to a cooling fin etc. Remember that the airflow is not coming from flight direction. The Angle of Attack of the airflow will be influenced from the prop size and direction. Place the sensor on the other side of the cilinder.

Best regards

I think that Powerbox want to release it as soon as they can. But as save as possible and 100% sure that no issues like last week will happen again. As long as the software is not online yet I prefer not to push and let PB do there tests in such a way that we modelers can rely on their work. That is my personal opinion.

Hello Powerbox Support team,

I was wondering if you'll can tell me a little about the Receiver and the way it works.

Are you switching between the Antennas before the incoming signal is going into the receiver or is every Antenna connected to a receiver module and is switching happening after the modules? If so:

- 1 - Are you Switching only by weak signal only (Diversity),

- 2 - Or are all antennas connected to a receiver module monitored by signal strength (RSSI or Bit Error Rate) and based on that it will switch to the strongest antenna (True Diversity),

- 3 - The last option. Are you using all antennas at the same time (MIMO, Multiple-In-Multiple-Out)?

Is this the same for uplink as well for the downlink (Telemetry)

Please let me know.

Best regards,

John van Gastel

Hi Richard,

I can imagine the pressure for you. Your innovative radio's are an example of how to think in future minds. The telemetry functions are mind-blowing and your sensors are great looking and easy to use. Software can be a real b*tch. I personally take my hat of for you for the efforts you put in customer service via this forum. For sure this will cost a lot of energy and patience. I hope all modelers want to see that. Take your time to build 1.61 in such a way that you are comfortable to release it. It will be worth to wait for it.

Best regards,

John

Hello Norser,

MKS servo’s are a little sensitive on pulse voltage and incoming power. I tested a lot of servos in the last 12 months including servos from MKS.

Is the output voltage set to 5,9V or 7,2V??

Most servo’s have current limiters in the case. If the voltage drops down the current goes up. When you hold the servo’s the current limiter can be active to protect the servo and it will stop.

Mostly the cable quality and thickness are giving these problems.

I usually use the Powerbox Servo wiring with 0,5mm2 on red and blue and 0,3mm on white for pulse.

Voltage drop due to too thin cables can be significant and this is allready a common problem by MKS777 servo's. (If you google MKS777 this is the first thing you find on other forums)

This does not mean that the servo is bad!!

These issues can also come from wrong frame-rate settings. The Transmitter is the clock and everything should match that.

Make sure that the receivers and the mercury are the same. And off course that the setup from the Mercury is on SBus.

Sometimes a sensor in telemetry can cause these problems also. SBus2 is a bidirectional bus system also. Using SBus, Sbus2 and PWM in the same setup WILL cause problems. Therefor you cannot use SBus and Sbus2 servo’s in the same airplane. I know some crashes due to that.

Another problem can be interference from another device like fuel-pumps, landing gear spindles and parallel cables without twisting with high currents etc.

Please do not hesitate to ask for more specific information when needed.

Best regards,

John van Gastel

The temperature sensor cable is not a regular Thermocouple. It is a NTC element and as such the material of the cables are both the same. This means you can extend the sensor in this situation. Be careful with this. It is not the most elegant solution. Make also sure that the temperature sensor cable is not close to other cables. Especially not the high voltage cable from the ignition.

For a good result, place the sensor outside the airflow.

Instead of using several Y-cables you can use the pbs Dock as well.

I am pretty sure this will not work. The temperature sensors are NTC components that needs amperes measurements to make values. This is integrated in the pbs-250 sensor. The dock is just a 5way Y cable.

I was a hardcore apple user also. But since i design airplanes and do simulations on aerodynamics it was a no-go anymore. Now i work with windows for all windows required software. Unfortunately mac is not interesting enough for some software companies to write software for it.

I bought a small lightweight windows 10 laptop specially for the Core. I put it on the Internet with the powerbox software running so updates are coming in before i go flying. In this case i can always maintain the equipment on the field.

The frequency of software updates is high and that is a big compliment to Powerbox. The development runs fast!!

Just to let you know.

Best regards