Posts by r.boen

Hello Richard,

I have an older iGYRO 3e unit (Serial No. 257312) that is possibly 4 years old, but has been updated to V4. This unit has been flown in two separate aircraft over he last for years, and in both cases, has exhibited extremely erratic flight control during flight. In the first instance, I was able to regain control of the plane and land it safely. In the second case (about 3 months ago), the aircraft was a total loss.

In either case, the flight behavior was so erratic, it was as if the iGYRO had come loose inside the aircraft, but in both cases, the gyro was found to be properly mounted and secure inside the fuselage. I now am very leary about using this particular unit in any of my planes until I can have it verified & checked out for proper operation.

Does PowerBox Germany or USA have the necessary equipment to do this type of testing? Can I send it to you for evaluation?

This is not my first experience with the iGYRO 3e, I have no less than 8 other units installed in other aircraft... All are working just fine! BTW... After I recovered the 1st aircraft referenced above, I installed a new unit in the plane (a 30 yo, 1/4 scale Bucker Jungmeister) and it has been working fine ever since (4 years now).

Thanks...

Hello Richard...

Ok, I'm confused as hell. I updated to V07, and read all your replies regarding the Setup Assistant not changing any manual User-Mapping settings when the assistant was run, yet in my case, that's exactly what happened. All the input mapping and carefully thought out output mapping that I had done (for ease of servo lead access & servo location) was completely overwritten by the setup assistant defaulting to the "normal" output location you have programmed into the Mercury. This has the same effect as doing a complete system reset.

I did a complete setup using "my" manual user mapping three times, all with the same result... Overwritten to the default output mapping for "normal" aircraft configurations. In each case, my gyro setup for "rate mode" on FM 2 & FM 3 reverted to Att. Assist On when viewed on the normal gyro setup page.

I reworked the aircraft servo output to comply with the default "normal" mapping layout, and low and behold, I got to the end of the Setup Assistant menu (including selecting "rate mode" on FM 2 & FM 3, yet I continue to get "Att. Assist On" when viewed on the gyro setup page.

What's going on here?

I only want "rate mode" on all my primary channels for flight stabilization on the Warbirds that I fly. Doing 3D or Torque Rolls with Warbirds is highly frowned upon by the people that I usually fly with.

Thanks...

Robert

Richard... I'm at a stone wall here. After repeated attempts using the setup assistant, I am unable to remap the outputs (from their default assignments) to the assignments for the internal iGyro (Example: Aileron A will not remap to GY Aileron A in the "Output Mapping" menu) using the manual procedure in the Output Mapping menu. None of the other mapping channel assignments will remap either.

The Mercury unit is version V05. I have many other PowerBox units, and never have run into this programming problem before. What could be the problem here.

I have one other Mercury unit purchased at last year's Joe Nall (upgraded to V.05) going into another new plane, but I'm reluctant to use it until I solve the problem in this unit (purchased from Duralte last month).

Thanks...

Hello Richard,

I seem to have a servo output problem with a Royal SRS that may be due to crash damage. The unit in question has been involved in two crashes; after the first I tested the unit, and found full functionality of all features. After the second, I attempted to reinstall in a different aircraft, but found problems when I tested it.

I am using a Futaba S-Bus R7008SB Receiver; input mapping to the Royal SRS has been done per the manual twice successfully. The Royal SRS firmware has been updated to V 09.2; still no output to the servos on both the GY and / or the direct channels.

The output side has been check for power supply voltage, and shows 5.62v, but no detectable signal to the servo.

The unit was ordered from Chief Aircraft 01/10/2014. I have a replacement unit on order with Chief; due in next week.

Do you have any other ideas of what I can check? Otherwise, i have to ship the unit back to you for diagnosis and possible repair.

Thanks, Bob.

Hello Richard,

I have been thinking about seeing if the iGyro can be reconfigured to be constantly "ON" in FM1, which would allow FM2 and FM3 to be used for different gain settings and / or different Normal & HH setup combinations.

For example, FM2 could be setup with both Normal and HH active on all flight surfaces except the HH gain on the Rudder would be set to ~0~. FM3 would then be setup with the same configuration PLUS the HH gain on the Rudder would be active at whatever gain level is appropriate for the given aircraft. This would allow for Knife Edge & 4 point Rolls in FM3, and normal dampened & stablized HH flight in FM2. FM1 would have only stabilized (Normal) settings active in that configuration.

I normally have the iGyro active on FM2 during take-offs and landings, and fly with it "On" during most, if not all my flights.

Thanks,

Bob

Hello Richard,

An update for you. The new GPS that I "borrowed" from another plane, is working flawlessly. This is in a 35% Yak, which now has over 74 flights on it (780 flight minutes), and is a joy to use.

The new GPS that I got from Duralight, is now installed in another plane. I will test that later this year.

The replacement GPS that you sent me, is now on the shelf for spare parts inventory. I would recommend any users using this system in multiple aircraft, to keep one set aside for replacement use... they do go bad.

Is there anything you can do to improve durability & quality? A reduced cost to registered users, would go a long way to help.

Thanks,

Bob

Richard,

The replacement GPS Sensor arrived a few days ago. Thanks.

Did you ever find out what went wrong with the one that I sent to you?

Thanks,

Bob

Hi Richard,

Well, I think the GPS sensor swap from plane #2 did the trick. 2 test flights today with absolutely no evidence of oscillation.

I reset the max airspeed on each flight. Flight #1 show I got 211 kph on a mid-throttle loop from 400 feet (131 mph), and on the 2nd flight I throttled back at apogee and posted a more moderate 186 kph (115 mph) at the end. Sheesh... I did'nt think the damn plane would go that fast!

At any rate, no bobble or oscillation on either flight.

Got my spare GPS sensor from Duralite today, so I'm good to go on plane #2. I will very interested to see what you find on the sensor I shipped back to you. Please let me know your findings.

Regards, Bob

Hi Richard,

The old GPS is already on it's way to you (Jack said to ship it directly to you, so I did) and should arrive next week.

I'm buying a back-up GPS from Jack for spare parts inventory.

I will test the new GPS that I robbed from plane #2 later this week, and will let you know how it works out. I have another airshow this weekend; hope the new(er) GPS works.

I should reset the max airspeed to the default?

If the old GPS proves to be faulty, could you have Jack ship a replacement out of his inventory n/c?

Thanks,

Bob

Richard,

I am an indirect customer of yours through Duralite. I am using the Competition SRS / iGyro SRS combination, and have just purchased my 2nd set a few weeks ago.

The first set went into a 35% Pilot RC Yak 54 (107" wingspan) set up for precision aerobatics / light 3D, and up until this weekend had performed flawlessly since I first installed the combination 2 months ago. I have 54 flights, 518 airtime minutes on this Competition SRS/iGyro SRS package. This weekend I was flying an IMAA event using my usual settings, when the aircraft started to oscillate on both the elevator and rudder at he same time. The ailerons did not appear to oscillate. I was flying FM2 using the following percentages on "Normal" only. "Heading" mode was not used:

Aileron - Normal 55%; Heading 0%; Airspeed Factor 3
    Elevator - Normal 45%; Heading 0%; Airspeed Factor 4
    Rudder- Normal 40%; Heading 0%; Airspeed Factor 3

After the oscillation, I landed the aircraft and reset the iGyro with the following percentages:

Aileron - Normal 55%; Heading 0%; Airspeed Factor 3
    Elevator - Normal 40%; Heading 0%; Airspeed Factor 4
    Rudder- Normal 35%; Heading 0%; Airspeed Factor 3

After the reset, I zeroed the iGyro, whereupon I had severe servo jumping (hunting for center) on both the elevator and rudder axis while in the tent. Thinking it might have been a battery issue, I installed fresh batteries, reset the Competiton SRS, and had to do 2 iGyro zeroings before the problem subsided on the ground. On my next flight, I took off and flew using FM1, and only swwitched to FM2 when I was safely in the air. Using FM2 gave me the same result; oscillation on both the elevator and rudder. I flew the rest of the meet "off gyro" using FM1 only.

The following day back in my shop, I inspected the iGyro and the GPS, and started them up. The GPS took over 2 minutes to log on to a signal, and upon inspecting the iGyro itself, found that it listed my max airspeed at 864 km/hr. On it's best day, the Yak is only good for 128 km/hr.

Note: I've always had a oscillation issue with the elevators coming out of a dive, which is why I've gone to using a Airspeed Factor of 4. That seemed to solve the problem, but now it seems to be getting worse.

I am also using Hitec HS-7940TH servos and I'm aware of the jumping/jittering issues related to long servos leads. Up until now, I have not had a problem in this area, but I am converting the aircraft to 20 ga. twisted servo wires with Spectrum signal boosters just to be on the safe side.

I've ordered a spare GPS through Duralite, but would like to return this GPS to you for evaluation and possible replacement. Let me know...

Thanks,

Bob