PowerPak Pro 2.5x2 balancing

• Hi Richard,

Last weekend i had a crash with my aircraft. I had a PowerPak pro 2.5x2 installed

Externally the battery looks perfect, case is perfect no cracks etc

I took the Powerpak pro apart and measured the cell voltages. They were .2 volt different from each other

On charging, one cell reached 4.3volts the other reached 4.10 volts at the end of the charge

I also tried installing new identical Samsung cells. But this made no difference

Can you tell me how close your balancer works? What difference in cell voltage is acceptable?

. I'm afraid going to 4.3 volts for the one cell is too high, from my experience

Maybe i damaged something internally. There were no loose components inside the case

Your thoughts please

Happy New Year

Thanks for your support

Chris

• Hello,

the charger can´t charge up the cells different. This comes over time.

The balancer gets active when on cells exceeds 4.20V

So if you already replaced the cells and see again 4.10 to 4.30 I have no explanation to that, only that your measurement was not correct?

• Thanks Richard,

Yes i agree my meters are very slightly different, they have served me well. Please see pictures attached relating to cell differences. At this point the charger was still charging, the light hadn't turned green on the Powerpak. Picture one cell one, picture two cell 2

• Hi Richard,

Maybe i did not make myself clear enough

I used two different meters to test the battery, to minimise inaccurate readings. They are old meters i know. But they should be good enough to demonstrate the difference between the cells

The two meters were hooked together (probes shorted so as a common single probe). The photos were taken a matter of seconds apart

Photo one meter leads joined together

Fluke meter

BBC meter

Measuring cell one

Photo two meter leads joined together

Fluke meter

BBC meter

Measuring cell two

Hope this makes sense

Chris

• Thanks Richard,

So can i assume that full voltage per cell should not exceed 4,10V?

Having one cell charge to 4.3V is getting very high in my opinion

I'll retire this battery pack due to safety reasons

Chris