Cannot get readings from GPSII on Futaba T18SZ

• Hi, I have a GPSII with Futaba T18SZ. Under an older Futaba firmware, my GPSII worked fine. Then I updated the firmware on the Tx and now the GPS II won't read. I erased the old GPSII 1675 in slot 8, and reregistered the sensor all over again. I didn't use the battery, just the power from the back of the Tx. This has always worked before, I don't see what the battery does. Maybe I'm wrong. Anyway, it registers again to slot 8, GPS 1675 with the typical ID 4006. Then, in the telemetry window, I select the sensor (it shows slot 8 and "speed". No readings still. Did Futaba change the communications to these sensors with the firmware update? Do I need to run the USB sensor software? I don't have the interface, and I don't think I should have to buy one, and wait for it. What am I doing wrong? Thanks!

• Hello,

first I would check if the telemetry is still activated in the binding menu. DL speed 1 second.

Then I would reset the telemetry in the radio and make a Re-Read without sensor connected at the back. The telemetry list is empty now.

Then go manually to slot 8 and select the 1675 directly from the list.

• Hello,

first I would check if the telemetry is still activated in the binding menu. DL speed 1 second.

Then I would reset the telemetry in the radio and make a Re-Read without sensor connected at the back. The telemetry list is empty now.

Then go manually to slot 8 and select the 1675 directly from the list.

Yes, the telemetry box was green (selected). And the DL speed is 1 second. I didn't re-try the re-read part because I've done that a million times without luck. This time, though, I did a re-link of the Tx & Rx. That worked, except the GPS type changed to generic GPS instead of GPS1675. And the speed and distance readings were way off. Sitting on my bench, the plane was moving 166mph. So then I manually changed the device to GPS1675, ID 4006. Now it all works. Very strange, but thank you for getting me thinking about rebinding. Shouldn't be necessary to rebind the entire receiver just to add a sensor.

One think not working well is I have the speed alarm set to go off below 60mph. But I can't turn it off with the switch assigned to voice. So, it's annoying on the ground during run-up before takeoff. Shouldn't the voice switch defeat even the alarms? Thanks.

• Hello,

Oh yes - sorry - rebinding often fixed the issue as well. Futaba telemetry is sometimes really tricky!

Cannot fix that with the alarms - these are generated in the radio.

More bad news. I turned on the plane, and the same thing. GPSII sensor not reading. I did everything you have mentioned, along with the re-linking the receiver. This time, nothing works. This sensor is the 3521 pre-configured as Futaba. It used to work on another airplane. Then I updated the Futaba firmware on the Tx. That's the only thing changed. I'm tired of wasting time on this. So just tell me straight out please, two things. 1)Is there a known issue with sensors having trouble AFTER a Tx firmware update?. I know this update did things to sensor "registers". 2) If my GPSII was preconfigured to Futaba, does using the USB and desktop program do nothing else to help?

• Hello,

1. No

2. No, you only can use it to set another system

I would reset again the telemetry and then make a re-read sensors to empty all slots. Then go to slot 8 and make the GPS 1675 manually to that slot.

As the GPS was already working on this radio I don´t think the GPS is the problem.

What LED sign do you see? Slow blinking, solid green is o.k.

If it is fast blinking it is in the Terminal Mode, your radio doesn´t find it anymore.