iGyro SRS - max current 10A?

• Hello,

I am working on a new setup using the iGyro SRS and it is all SBUS. In the manual it states that the max current for the unit is 10amps. I plan on using the 2 digital-output ports as serial connections for the model. Would the 10amps be the expected max for servo draw through the unit? I was planning on connecting battery power to each of the 2 RXs or to the iGyro directly. Another option would be to connect the battery power to a more central (passive) device, like a sbus terminal box to distribute the power to the servos. Is this more advisable? I would like to use PowerBUS to BUS adapters for this role, but they appear to only accept MPX for input. I would have to make a dual-JR to MPX cable to connect the iGyro SRS DIG-OUT ports to the Power BUS MPX input port. Would this be more optimal & suggested? I'm trying to keep the plane as light as possible, this means no battery backer to save weight. I plan on using the new Sensor Switch v3 for power.

Thoughts - suggestions - comments?

A separate question which I know belongs in the PowerBus section. I will post it there and here as it is related to the topic above. Can the servo ports on the Powerbus to BUS adapter be used for serial input? I have not tested it, but I believe it would not work as each adapter has an amplifier, and this function (I think) takes place on the signal coming in on the MPX input port. That said, would the signal come into the sbus system on a servo port without amplification? Or would it be blocked/ dropped?

Thank you for the help and support.

sc

• Hello,

I cannot recommend to connect all servos in the plane to a single JR output on the iGyro. You can make a wire which has a JR Connector to the Gyro and a JR input to the PowerBox to feed the bus. A kind of Y-harness

The Bus to Bus have an ampilifier but will work with S.BUS in and S:BUS out. They have fused servo output.

My experience says that a Bus system smaller planes makes no sense. To complicate (Servo adresses) and no weight saving. Use the normal Premium wire, a Pioneer, HV- Servos and you are done. Simple and light.

• Hi Richard, it is actually a 35% aerobatic plane. It is not a small plane but I'm trying to keep it as light as possible. This is why I have a single powerbus lead to the tail to feed (4) servos with a powerbus adapter. A single powerbus lead to the nose to feed the ignition and throttle servo, using a PWM to bus adapter for the ignition sbus decoding. To keep weight down and the setup simple, I decided to try the new v3 sensor switch for redundant battery power. In the middle of the plane I have a powerbus to bus adapter I planned to use to connect the DIG-OUT SRS serial connections and the battery leads to the servo ports. The labeled Input/Output ports I planned to use to make the powerbus MPX connections to the tail and nose. That was the plan until I noticed that the PowerBus to bus adapter may be dropping the sbus input signal from a servo port. Can you confirm that you cannot use the servo ports on the adapter as a serial input connection from the iGyro SRS DIG.OUT ports?

• Richard, this is more or less the design I was attempting. Then I noticed the ports in red would not support the sbus signal. I do not believe this is a product malfunction or short-fall. I think I incorrectly assumed any of the ports could be used for input or output. Similar to a Futaba terminal box.

Note: I already had the iGyro on-hand, this was the main driver for the design. It kind of forced me to have to accommodate the 2xJR servo leads for the serial connections. Bummer.

• Hello,

the Bus adapters go only in one direction. Also the Servo outputs are fused. So if you go with the Sensor into this outputs, the whole plane runs over this two fuses.

Are you going with HV servos in that plane? Else the Sensor should be replaced by a PB Source.

if you are going either from the fuselage center from a Bus adapter to the servos in the wing with a seperate cable for the servos, your weight win is nothing.

From my opinion this setup is to complicate, error sensitive and at least that heavy than a conventionel setup. I don´t complain with that: but you pay much more than for a normal setup... ;-)

• ok - I'm kind of stuck now, as I already purchased and installed all of the equipment. ugh... <X

I looked at the PB Source & it looks like a nice unit. I see it supports 2x20amps vs 2x10amps when compared to the SSv3. But it uses MPX to JR leads for the connections to the RXs (2x MPX / JR). So the benefit would merely be on the unit capacity and not the cabling. I would remain dependent on two JR connections for the total system servo draw. I don't know - I need to think about this more. I may just test what my total system draw is when I push all of the servos for certain maneuvers and decide if 2x10amps will suffice. I appreciate your help, thank you.