Posts by Mark Vandervelden

I have here a Mercury SRS I bought within an air-frame but unfortunately it did not come with a GPS-II. I happend to have on my shelf a PB 1st gen GPS and out of curiosity have plugged it in, the Mercury then after a few moments displayed "GPS OK". I have not attempted to fly with this 1st gen GPS and have no need for any telemetry but as far as regulating the gyro is this setup better than with no GPS, if it is ok to use what are its limitations or am I wasting my time. Regards Mark V

Thank you Richard
    I had set it to mode 1 but with the delay for output L4 that you get with the 5 tasks the models independant built in sequencer would respond erratically.
    I realise this is not for what the Cockpit and its sequencer are intended but its a build for a 3rd party and this is what i have been given for the install.
    By swapping the gear to another output I have overcome the problem and by now using L4 for the lights it dose not matter there is a short delay in switching across.
    The Cockpit is very versatile, I am impressed its just a shame its features wont be fully exploited in this case.
    Regards Mark V

I have now found the sequencer reset (it was clearly sited in the manual, my bad) but still have not found a way to make output L-4 act as a simple in-out without delay.
    I have overcome this by moving my gear function to another output and using L-4 as a non time delay critical function ie for lights on-off.
    The sequencer function in the Cockpit SRS is very versatile but I became overwhelmed by having to go to 2 x 12 tasks trying to reduce all the time delays to 0-0.1 ?
    Perhaps default for "L" could or should be a simple output ch like all the others with an option of using the sequencer or not as or when its needed.

To clear any confusion when I refer to a multiplex male "plug" I realise it has female "pins" and a female "plug" has male "pins". As a reference if I were to plug an extension servo lead in to an Rx or indeed a PB SRS unit it would use a male "plug with female Pins plugged into the unit itself going on to a female "plug" with male "pins into which the servos lead would be plugged. My point I am making in the post above is that the PB wing/fus connector set is round the other way?

Hello Richard
    I have recreantly purchased 4x wing/fus sets and 2x 100cm of your premium servo wire for an re-install into a large jet airframe. The wire is very high quality and appears to be very tough but at first glance it seems to be a very fine gauge. I will be using JR 8911 servos with up to 150cm servo lead lengths running from an SRS Competition set at 5.9v. I have been assured by our UK PB distributor Dave Wiltshire that this servo wire is more than enough for the job, I have never been let down by a PB product so will continue to use with this assurance for this install.
    I intend to use the 4x 2 servo premium wing/fuselage wire sets in this airframe but was surprised to find the 40cm length of wires had the male plug attached and the 120cm the female plug, is this not back to front? The std PB wing/fus wire set I have here they are replacing is in fact the other way round. It may only be my personal preference to have them the other way round but it would follow the usual for servo leads. Unfortunately in this install the 40cm lengths are a bit to short to be used in my fuselage and the 120cm has an excess of length to be trimmed in the wings. I can cure the lack of wire length in the fus by moving the PB SRS unit rearward by a few cm but it is a pain to do.
    Could I make a suggestion for your concentration that rather than supply the wing sets with plugs on two separate predetermined lengths of wire of 40cm and 120cm to simply supply the two plugs attached to each end of single length of 160cm. This would perhaps be far more versatile allowing the end user to decide were to make the break along its length and hence which length of lead has a particular plug on it.
    Regards Mark Vandervelden

"A request"
    A nice software update for the future would be to be able to map the channels on the Expander. This will allow outputs above any TXs channel count to be used on duplicate outputs, IE for duel flaps, elevator etc, this then would truly be a very versatile "Expander"

Hello
    Following my query on this forum and via email regarding on how to set a failsafe with the PB Expander a new software update V.02 has been made available.
    I have now updated my PB Expander and indeed a failsafe function is now incorporated and is very easy and straight forward to use.

Up until last week I had been using the Expander set to Jeti EX to give 16chs but have now also tried it with UDI and that setup also works fine. Although using Jeti UDI limits me to 12ch I do now have the Jeti sats EX ports free for telemetry.

Thank you Powerbox for listening and responding so positively and quickly.

Hello
    I believe I understand why my Jeti Sat's should have there failsafe disabled with a SRS setup, This is not to let the Expander SRS think there is a valid signal being received by any one of the two Sat's when in fact there my not be, in fact it might be its "failed safe" command being sent the Expander. So how should I achieve a failsafe with the Expander?
    Mark V

Following my question here on the forum the Powerbox team very quickly sent me a file to update my Powerbox Terminal allowing me to adjust the Expanders settings, what fantastic service! Here is my reply to that email after I had downloaded and retried the process..

""Thank you for the prompt reply. I have now replaced the relevant file and the new tabs for the Expander and iGyro e3 have now appeared.
    When the Expander is now connected it is recognised and I am able to adjust and update as needed.

Please confirm the following is set up correctly
    I have set the Expander to Jeti Ext and left the servo timing at its default of 15ms.
    I then set my DS16 Tx to double path and bound 2 R-Sats.
    Both R-Sats are set to Ext, servo timing on Auto, 16ch and failsafe disabled.
    When bench tested all 16 available channels worked correctly with ch 17-18 simply holding the servo at a fixed position.

I have not yet considered what happens during a lose of signal and how failsafe is set but will experiment further.

With thanks and kind regards, Mark V""

I am sure very soon "Team Powerbox" will have the online Terminal program updated but if not an email request should do the trick.

Hello
    I have just received a Power Expander SRS for use with my Jeti DS16 Tx implementing 2 Jeti R-Sats. This will require the Expander SRS default parameters to be changed from Futaba to Jeti. Unfortunately I have not been able to get the Expander SRS to be recognised within the Powerbox Terminal on my computer (Win 7). I have checked that the Terminal is working, I have connected sucsesfully a Competition SRS with no issues moments before and have reconnected it since attempting to update/reconfigure the Expander SRS and it was still connecting to the Competition SRS fine. The Powerbox Terminal simply says after connecting the Expander SRS and then pressing continue "No Powerbox device connected" then when the "continue" button is pressed again a com port window appears stating "com port 5" there are no other com port options within this window. The Expander SRS is powered up before connection as per the manual and the USB port marked on the Expander is used.

Please advise, Regards Mark V

Ps There seems not to be a dedicated Q&A section for the Expander SRS, too early?

Hello
    I have just received a Power Expander SRS for use with my Jeti DS16 Tx implementing 2 Jeti R-Sats. This will require the Expander SRS default parameters to be changed from Futaba to Jeti. Unfortunately I have not been able to get the Expander SRS to be recognised within the Powerbox Terminal on my computer (Win 7). I have checked that the Terminal is working, I have connected sucsesfully a Competition SRS with no issues moments before and have reconnected it since attempting to update/reconfigure the Expander SRS and it was still connecting to the Competition SRS fine. The Powerbox Terminal simply says after connecting the Expander SRS and then pressing continue "No Powerbox device connected" then when the "continue" button is pressed again a com port window appears stating "com port 5" there are no other com port options within this window. The Expander SRS is powered up before connection as per the manual and the USB port marked on the Expander is used. Please advise, Regards Mark V

Hello "again"

I was looking at the Powerbox 12 with regards to powering the two separate servos and still retain battery redundancy.
    As the PB 12 unit isolates its two packs, could I then use the same two packs as are supplying the SRS unit?
    Just a thought, it would save having to charge 4 packs before going out to play.

Mark V

Hello

Thank you, I expected you to say not to use the Li-po packs supplying SRS.
    I think I understand why only one can be used.
    I will probably use two completely separte packs for the Servos through some sort of battery backer.

Again thank you for your prompt and concise reply

Regards Mark V

Hello Richard
    Thank you for the very prompt reply

I understand what you have stated and using a separate power supply is an option.

Are you implying I can "not" use the same li-po paks that are supplying the SRS unit its self.

Mark V